Have foot pain. No fracture seen on x-ray. How long will it take to heal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, for three months now, I have ball of the foot pain. On x- rays we don't see anything broken. No one of the podologist I've seen thinks I have a Morton's syndrom.

I put ice twice a day, I take contrat baths one or two times a day, I use my tens every day, I walk as little as possible, I do physiotherapy once a week. I had my orthesis ajusted. I wear running shoes. I think I do whatever I should. What's wrong with me. I take Advil. How long should it be to heal? I'm getting black ideas.
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through the x-ray attached to this query.

From the description, it seems you might be suffering from metarsalgia. Metatarsalgia is pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot. Strenuous activity or ill-fitting shoes are the usual causes.

It does not look like mortons neuroma. Morton's neuroma is thickening of the tissue around the nerve between the bases of the toes (usually between the third and fourth toes). Foot pain, odd sensations, or numbness over the ball of the foot are the usual symptoms.

Conservative measures usually relieve the pain of Metatarsalgia and it seems you are doing all of these things as advised by your doctor. If conservative treatments fail, surgery to realign the metatarsal bones may be an option. You can discuss this option with your podologist.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.