Have flu. Taking OTC chest congestion pills. Increased sense of smell. Underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have flu, and have only been taking OTC chest congestion pills (guaifenesin / dextromethorphan). I have developed an enhanced sense of smell where some "normal" smells are really noxious to me. Cooking fat fumes are particularly bad.

Can this be the drug (taken per label 1 per 4 hours), or just due to the flu?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Upper respiratory tact infections such as Flu usually lead to decrease of the sense of smell or alteration (Dysomia/ Cacosmia/ Parosmia).

2. There is a possibility that you are overdosing the OTC Chest congestion pills containing guiafensin and dextromethorphan (cough suppressants). This, specially dextromethorphan, is the most probable cause of your enhanced sense of smell.

3. The easiest way to find out is to reduce or stop these pills or substitute them with other medication. This should be done under the supervision of your physician.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have flu. Taking OTC chest congestion pills. Increased sense of smell. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
Thanks,
I haven't taken any of the suspect pills for 24 hours and the effects are the same, so I am wondering if it is possible to estimate when my sense of smell will revert to it's previous level?

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no way of predicting the time required for your sense of smell to return back to normal.

2. You will have to observe and be patient. There is no active medication required.

Regards.