Ask a Urologist   »  

Have fever and cold. Presence of blood and pus cell found in urine test. Sign of urine infection?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi docter,
I had an urine test and the report parameter shows below:
Appearance : Slig htly hazy
Specific Gravity : 1.020
Blood : Trace
Red Blood cell : 2-3/HPF
Pus Cells : 3-4/HPF
Epithelial cells: 1-2/HPF
Can you please confirm is this the sign of urine infection.I am facing cold and fever from last one day.
Please suggest medicine
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
You didnt mention was there any bacteria found and have you done urinoculture. But these findings indicate mild current uroinfection. It doesnt seems to be anything serious and recommendations are that you should take antibiotic for 5-7 days ( ciprofloxacine or nitrofurantoin).
3 days after the last tablet you should repeat urine analysis including urinoculture and if this is negative,you are cured. Usually uroinfections reccur during the life but treatment is always the same by antibiotics.
Blood detection in your urine is sign of infection but sometimes it can indicate ureteral stones so find some time to do kidney, ureter and prostate ultrasound just to rule out some disorders in this area.
For prevention you should drink enough fluids, cranberry or balckberry juice or tea, pineapple juice. Empty your bladder frequently.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.