Have fatigue palpitation. Test showed tricuspid regurgitation and diastolic dysfunction. Is it serious?

I'm a 44 yr. old female with SOB, fatigue and palpitations on occasions. I had an done and the result was trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation and diastolic dysfunction. Also had and EKG that said consider left atrial abnormality....wide or notched P waves. The cardiologist said he heard a Mitral Valve Prolapse click when listening to my heart. I have had this SOB intermittent for 17 years and palpitations on and off. I am going back for event monitor to be put on next week and a heart PET scan stress test in 2 weeks? What does this sound like to you? Is this serious?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Respected Ma'm 1. If there was a click suggestive of mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and it could not be picked up on cardiac ultrasound (ECHO), then ECHO may be done again or trans-esophageal ECHO may be considered. 2. Trace Mitral regurgitation is not significant. 3. Event monitor is to detect the type of rhythm you have at times of palpitation and correlate your symptoms with heart rhythm. If you ever had syncope, complete loss of consciousness, bout of blackout or unexplained fall, then it is important. Else most of palpitations are because of "premature contractions" and are benign. I hope there is no other structural heart disease on ECHO (else you would have mentioned it). 4. Stress scan is to look for coronary artery disease as a cause of your symptoms, especially shortness of breath. 5. They are not alarming on their own as they are just investigations. Their result may totally come out to be normal. 6. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes? Left atrial abnormality and diastolic dysfunction, both have many causes but from your ECHO report it appears that diastolic dysfunction may be possibly the culprit for ECG change. It has many reasons & is important but not alarming in isolation. Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow-up: Have fatigue palpitation. Test showed tricuspid regurgitation and diastolic dysfunction. Is it serious? 5 minutes later
Would mitral valve prolapse cause diastolic dysfunction or left atrial abnormality? I always have low blood pressure 100/60 - 115/75, and I do not have diabetes. What is diastolic dysfunction and what would cause it? Is it treatable? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Respected Ma'm 1. Diastolic dysfunction is inability of left ventricle (the main pumping chamber of heart) to relax properly. This has many causes and can be reversible. It occurs with old age, obesity, high Blood pressure, diabetes, anxiety, stress and many diseases of heart. It is reversible many a times and is treatable too. Basically we have to identify the cause and treat that. Diastolic dysfunction, in isolation, without any other evident abnormality may not turn out to be important at all. 2. Mitral valve prolapse with trace Mitral regurgitation can cause palpitations but not shortness of breath or diastolic dysfunction. Since Left atrial abnormality was on ECG but was not present on ECHO, the ECG finding loses its relevance. Hope this helps. Sincerely Sukhvinder