Have erythrodermic psoriasis, taking immunosuppresive medicine. Is my condition due to a neurological problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi! i'm a female patient who have entire body erythrodermic psoriasis (it's what they say by biopsy) since 7 years old. now i'm 17. I also have anemia.we tried everything but my skin didn't respond to anything. i've been using immunosupressive (Sandimmun Neoral) for last 4 years. it helps a little bit but my skin condition is same. recently i thought maybe my psoriasis is symptom of another disease. I don't have any neurological sypmtom (fatigue is not one,right?). But what's the possibility of my skin condition is cause of a neurologic problem? Is there any disease this kind of? Should I get MRI,tomography...etc? Help please...
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for writing to Healthcare Magic.
I have gone through your post above and want to reassure you that you do not have any symptoms of neurological disease at present.
Psoariasis is not a sign of any neurological disease.
Fatigue can be a symptom of neurological disease, but it is a very non-specific symptom. In isolation (fatigue alone), fatigue is not a sign of neurological disease. However, if someone has other definite signs of neurological disease (such as weakness, numbness, imbalance, etc), then fatigue can be attributed to neurological disease.
Since you do not have any symptoms of neurological disease, you do not need to undergo any investigations such as MRI, CT scan, etc.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Have erythrodermic psoriasis, taking immunosuppresive medicine. Is my condition due to a neurological problem? 3 hours later
Thanks for reply.

I see but except fatigue i I have numbness and tingling at my hands and legs and feet.It comes suddenly-randomly and goes away. Doctors thought it could be romatoid arthritis as secondary to psoriasis.But it wasn't.

I still consider to take some scanning test.

Have a nice day.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 50 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
Numbness and tingling of hands and feet could be related to mild neuropathic symptoms (involvement of nerves of hands and feet).
For further evaluation, you may do these investigations- nerve conduction studies (NCV) and serum vitamin B12 level test. These are simple tests and may be done in consultation with a neurologist. Scanning is not likely to be helpful.
However, I do not think any serious disease may be found. They are only for excluding any neurological problem.
Best wishes,