Have enlarged supraclavicular lymph node. Drinking alcohol increases pain and have itching. Suggest?

I have a 1 cm enlarged supraclavicular lymph node on the left side and increased number of sub-centimeter nodes on the right side. I am tired all the time , if I drink alcohol I have increased pain, I have periods of itching all over. I was seen by a ent nurse pract. and he spent 5 minutes with me and stated lets just watch it and come back in 6 months. I know its been there at least 2 years. Should I be worried ?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

You mention that the supraclavicular lymph node has been there for 2 years and a number of smaller nodes. Hoping that the larger one has not increased in size in the past two years and the newer ones have appeared lately I would like you to get a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) done. This investigation will tell us about the nodes and further course of management. If the report turns out to be normal it shall be better.

As you have a few medical issues for which you must be undergoing treatment I suggest that you discuss the issue of pain and itching with the treating doctor as they may be related to the medical issues and/or medications that you may be having.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal