Have enlarged papillae on the back of tongue, soreness in neck. Smoking cause?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have enlarged papillae on the back of my tongue. The right side of my neck is a little sore and my right ear gets a little stopped up, too. I've been a smoker and that makes me very nervous! Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Have enlarged papillae on the back of tongue, soreness in neck. Smoking cause? 11 minutes later
Just want to make sure you have the added details. I saw my dentist and an oral surgeon and both did not see a problem. I have an appointment soon with an ENT. I have a soreness on the right side of my neck ( no swelling) but MAY have strained that while exercising. Sometimes my ears feel a bit clogged. Tounge is a little sore in back right where papillae are enlarged. Sometimes mild, sometimes more irritating. Almonds and yogurt seem to exacerbate it as do artificial sweetners. Thank you so much! I'm very nervous about this and I know it's hard for you to answer without actually looking.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Unilateral soreness of the throat and the neck could be due to chronic pharyngitis or infection in the throat or side effect of the drug (escitalopram) .

In your history, you have mentioned that you do smoke; smoking damages the mucosa of the throat making it susceptible for repeated infections. This recurrent attack of infection in the throat is termed as chronic pharyngitis. In response to the repeated throat infection, there will be enlargement of the lingual tonsils, those lymphoid follicles present over the base of the tongue. The mere presence of the enlarged lingual tonsils can also give rise to foreign body sensation in the throat.

Secondly, soreness in the tongue and the throat can also arise as a side effect of the drug escitalopram.

The throat and the ear is innervated by the same nerve as a result, any inflammation or infection in the throat, the pain is referred to ear also.

Finally, you need to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination of the oral cavity and the throat, to diagnose the cause of your problem. Till then, you need to consume plenty of warm water, avoid smoking, alcohol and coffee. Also, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, this helps in regeneration of the mucosa of the oral cavity and reduction of the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have enlarged papillae on the back of tongue, soreness in neck. Smoking cause? 39 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Is escittalopram in the Lexro I take? Also, this is mostly on the right side although I do get irritation on the left side and one of my left linguil tonsils is irritated.
Follow-up: Have enlarged papillae on the back of tongue, soreness in neck. Smoking cause? 4 minutes later
Also, wanted to add that I have been on Lexapro for years... Can a medication suddenly start affecting you differently? Thank you!

Hi

Thanks for writing back

I made a differential diagnosis presuming that you started taking escitalopram (Lexapro) recently, as there was no mention of the duration in your history.

It is indeed very difficult to predict the side effects of any drug we take; when a drug is taken for a long time, there can be some adverse effects of that drug.

Uneven enlargement of the lymphoid follicles over the tongue can determine the severity of the pain; the pain will be more towards the side affected by the enlarged follicles.

Finally, we cannot blame the drug entirely for this problem, as I had mentioned in my previous post, other factors also has a role to play in the development of these symptoms.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have enlarged papillae on the back of tongue, soreness in neck. Smoking cause? 1 hour later
Thank you very much, Dr. XXXXXXX I will wait to see what my ENT says. In the meantime, I will try not to worry!

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 hours later

Welcome back

It would be much better to consult an ENT specialist. A thorough evaluation and appropriate management by the ENT specialist will alleviate your symptoms and give you a peace of mind.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon