Have dry skin on testicles. What could this mean?

Dear Dr,
I today analysed my testicles and I found a lot of dry skin. What could this mean? Or do I need to wash well down below?

Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later
Hi Ali! Thank you for you question and welcome to our site.

I took a look at the pictures you provided and it looks like you are peeling your old skin with your new skin growing underneath.

It does not look infected or irritated as I do not see any reddish or swollen areas. But this may become itchy at times. I would suggest that you try applying a moisturizer or a non-oily lotion to help relieve the dryness. Try to avoid picking at it or scratching - this may cause some breaks in your new and relatively thinner skin which can lead to infection or inflammation. If you notice any persistent pain, redness or swelling, do not hesitate to go to a dermatologist so that he/she can check for any signs of infection and prescribe you the appropriate medications.

This may last a few days or can even extend to weeks - it really depends on the individual - so just be patient. Just maintain proper personal hygiene and all will be well.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them. Otherwise, you may close and rate this discussion.

Take care and I wish you the best of health!

Dr. Galera