Have dry lips and itchy spot on anus. What could this be?

I'm a 34 years old male. In the last few day I have noticed that my lips are constantly dry, which is not normal for me. Then for the last couple of days, I've felt the area immediately around my anus itchy. I took a look, I notice a little bubble on the left, around my anus. I felt a tiny hard spot, but it's not vissible. It's soft to the touch and the same color as my skin. There's no pain; just an itching sansation at times. What could this be? Is this something that will go away on its own? Or, do I need to worry?

Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later

Thank you for writing to us.

The dry lips could most probably be either due to the weather, excessive loss of fluids or low intake of fluids (dehydration). This should be treated by either applying a protective coating of petroleum jelly (to avoid infections) and increase to amount of fluid consumption. Do you have any urinary symptoms?

The bubble/blister-like presentation around your anus along with itching in the region is normally seen in genital herpes. This will require examination by a doctor and appropriate treatment once diagnosed. This will not go away on its own, and can even get worse.

Please write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have dry lips and itchy spot on anus. What could this be? 10 hours later
I see... This does not sound like any of the herpes related symptoms I've heard of before. I've read of similar symptoms referred to as hemorrhoids. But since you're saying that it sounds like genital herpes, I'm kind of freaking out. Am I overly worrying here? Could this be something else?
No urinary symptoms!!!
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello. Thank you for responding.

I understand your cause for concern, but we cannot be sure until and unless this is physically and laboratory examined and confirmed.

You could help by providing information like: when was you last sexual contact? Was it with the same partner as always? If there was a new partner, is this person known? Do you wear uncomfortable clothing which could have caused the blister/bubble due to friction?

Please do not be alarmed, herpes has not been confirmed yet? And even if it is, it can be easily treated. Do visit a doctor and get yourself checked. Keep me updated, and I shall guide you through the rest.

I am sure you will be fine. Do not worry.

Best wishes.