Have dried nerve in ear. Prescribed neuromet for hearing loss. Should I go for hearing aid?

ENT Specialist
my mother in law's hearing capability decreasing gradually day by day and and she is having a constant sound in her right ear. doctor prescribed her neuromet and absolut 3g . Doctor told her nerve in the ear has been dried up, should she go for hearing aid ? Or what do you suggest ?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The human hearing reduces as the age progress due to various reasons, nerve weakness is one among them.

Age related Sensorineural hearing loss is common after the age of 60. Both the male and female population are equally predisposed for this problem. It is one of common age related changes that happens in the human body. Most of the people who suffer from this problem will have reduced hearing and tinnitus (noise in the ear) with or without dizziness.

Hearing aid is planned depending upon the amount of hearing loss. Hence a pure tone audiometry is required to assess the amount of hearing loss. If the audiometry shows a substantial amount of neural damage, it is advisable to go for a hearing aid.

The earlier a person starts using the hearing aid the sooner they can prevent worsening of hearing. Apart from that, there are various advanced hearing aids which can be programmed according to the frequency changes, hence giving the reciepient a near normal hearing. Also, the hearing aids can be completely placed inside the canal which can be hardly noticed by anyone.

My suggestion to you is to get an audiometric evaluation done at the earliest and consult a good ENT specialist. If there is any sensorineural hearing loss, you can definitely try programmable hearing aids, it's worth the effort.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon