Have done with the test for HIV, Hep B and C, Sickle Cells Anaemia. Can any on line doctor help me?

Excellent

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hi doctor,
i'm a guy who's going to get married and my government's law is to get tested for 5 infections first, these tests are:
1- HIV
2- Hep B
3- Hep C
4- Sickle Cells Anemia
5- Thalassemia
I went to the LabCorp 6 days ago and told them i need to get tested only for these five infections. As a result, I just received my results today and my concerns are:
1/ I don't know if they made the Sickle Cells Anemia and Thalassemia tests for me because the report doesn't indicate any name of both, but indicates a lot of codes which i don't understand, so please look at them and inform me if these codes are related to Sickle Cells Anemia and Thalassemia or not and tell me please if they look good, so so, or bad?

2/ I'm really concerned about my HIV result even though it showed up non reactive but i'm worried about the number which is <1.00 because i've heard if it's more than 1.00 that means positive and i XXXXXXX know if my number means more or less than 1.00!! and the other concern is the phrase next to Index Value: Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff, what does that mean?

3/ my last concern is about Hep C result because it doesn't show that i'm negative or positive!! and the phrase as well under the result.

I attached my report for you to see everything clearly.
Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

1. In your result, it is clearly mentioned that yours is normal adult Hemoglobin. That means that your are not having any Sickle cell Anemia or Thalassemia. If there is problem it would have been mentioned as Hemoglobin S present like this.

2. HIV test is negative or nonreactive only for you. For every test there will be a cut off value (mentioned by the manufacturer), beyond which the test is declared positive and below which it will be considered as negative. You don't bother about the values or numerical. You are free from HIV.

3. HCV also is negative only.
All the tests for is absolutely well within normal limits and you can get married without any hesitation.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Have done with the test for HIV, Hep B and C, Sickle Cells Anaemia. Can any on line doctor help me? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. S. XXXXXXX I appreciate your hep.

I have a further question:

As I've heard about the normal type of Thalassemia tests that related to Alpha and Beta which from my knowledge this type of test determines whether or not I'm losing some genetics. Do you think they included Alpha and Beta in my report and if they did, Am I losing any genetics because based on that the hospital in my country will approve my results and my fiancee's one as we are compatible and we can get married.

Thanks a lot.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Welcome back

Your test results show that your Hemoglobin is normal adult hemoglobin. It has not been expressed separately about Thalassemia and Sickle cell anemia.
More particulars about this test may be addressed to a hematologist. He/she will be able to tell better.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Have done with the test for HIV, Hep B and C, Sickle Cells Anaemia. Can any on line doctor help me? 2 hours later
OK.. but generally, I'm Thalassemia and Sickle Cells Anemia free, right?

What I'm concerned about is that which of the first 6 codes determines if I'm losing some genes from Alpha or some genes from Beta!!. The codes I meant are:

Hgb Solubility
Hgb F
Hgb A
Hgb S
Hgb C
Hgb A2

Thanks a lot.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later

Welcome back.

Hgb Solubility test is meant to detect Sickle cell anemia. It doesn't reveal Thalassemia status . So, as far as this test is concerned it is not coding anything about Alpha or Beta types of Thalassemia Major.

More information about Sickle cell anemia and Thalassemia and the test are best expressed by Hematologist or a genetic counselor. As a Sexually Transmitted disease specialist if you have more doubts about HIV , I am ready to answer you.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Have done with the test for HIV, Hep B and C, Sickle Cells Anaemia. Can any on line doctor help me? 13 hours later
Appreciate your help..

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
You are welcome.
Sorry I could not help you much from my side.
Dr S.Murugan