Have discomfort in the back of head and ear. Could it be related to screaming?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have discomfort in the back of my head to the left of the center and even with the middle of my ear. I was screaming at someone about 4 days ago. I had this happen about 15 years ago and was told it was probably related to the screaming. It went away the next day. Should I be worried ? It feels like a cramp there, I keep trying to rub it away.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This occurs due to muscle spasm i the neck and back of the head during the effort due to shouting. Avoid raising your voice for a few days. Scleroderma makes you more prone to poor circulation and muscle spasms as compared to normal individuals.

2. This problem should be temporary.

3. Your ear pain may be a referred pain due to common nerve supply. The ear is supplied sensation by many nerves that supply many other regions of the head, neck, chest and abdomen.

4. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Tympanogram (Impedance Audiometry) done to investigate the ear pain. If these are normal, there is no cause for worry.

5. The Neck Colour Doppler Study may be done if you have a history of circulation problems in the past. You will normally have some changes due to cervical spondylosis at this age.

6. Get your physician to prescribe a muscle relaxant painkiller and a local pain relieving gel for the sore neck.

7. Get a Neck Colour Doppler done if this persists after a week before visiting an ENT Specialist and let a Neurologist decide the need for an MRI.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have discomfort in the back of head and ear. Could it be related to screaming? 9 hours later
I have no ear pain. Is there a constriction of blood flow connected to the muscle spasm. Am I at risk for a stroke or anuerism? I have been told I may be pre alzheimer. Can screaming to permanent damage?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 50 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. The ear discomfort has the same basis.

2. The muscle spasm may constrict blood supply or compress nerves leading to the discomfort.

3. An aneurysm or risk of an impending stroke can only be ruled out by a Neck Colour Doppler Study, MRI Scans with an Angiogram and Venography and blood tests including a lipid profile, hematocrit and serum homocyteine levels.

4. Pre-Alzheimer's Disease would lead to more of cognitive problems, especially memory deficits. This symptom is more likely due to cervical spondylosis at your age.

5. Screaming does not cause permanent damage.

Regards.