Have difficulty in breathing and chest hurt's while swallowing asprins. Should I be concerned?

a couple days ago i choked while trying to swallow 2 i was choking the aspirin was burning my esophagus, and my right sind of my chest hurts the side i thing the asprin went down the wrong tube..... i was gagging' and was throwing up due to gagging. taking drinks of water when i could. finally gained composure but now the right side of my chest hurts almost like i have pneumonia? should i be concerned or lett my body heal it self?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. In your case I expect your body to achieve a full recovery on its own.

There are two possibilities. First it is possible that the aspirin became lodged in the upper part of your soffit guess causing inflammation. This can sometimes contribute to chest pain.

The other possibility As you have suggested is that the aspirin may have been in haled into your trachea. This would also cause a mild degree of local inflammation. Eventually the aspirin will be absorbed and your body will heal.

Right now I would suggest that you otherwise stay very well hydrated and continued to eat a very well-balanced diet and get plenty of rest. I would expect your symptoms to slowly improve over the next 5 to 7 days.

If your symptoms become worse or are not any better within a week You might consider discussing this with your primary care doctor.

Thanks again for sending your question. Again I expect that your body will heal itself and you will achieve a full recovery.

Dr. Robert