Have diabetes, high SGPT level. How do I reduce SGPT level and serum triglyceride level?

i'm suffering from diabetes.But my sugar levels have come down in recent tests to normal ranges.(fasting-81, after food-165). But my S.G.P.T level is 104.8 IU/L as on 17th Aug'12.
Other details are:
Serum triglycerides: 290mg/dl.
Ratio LDL/HDL: 2.00
Ratio tot chol/HDL: 4.65
Blood urea: 16.5mg/dl.
Serum creatinine: 1.08mg/dl.
B.P: 130/80
Haemoglobin: 14.2gm/dl.
Weight: 71kg.
How do i reduce my SGPT level and serum triglycerides??
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

In diabetes, as you seem to understand, you have not goals for the blood sugar but also for the HDL, triglycerides, blood pressure and LDL.
In men the HDL should be greater than 1 mmol/l or 40 mg/dl depending on what units your lab uses. The triglycerides should be less than 150 mg/dlor 1.7 mmol/l, the blood pressure less than 130/80mmHg and the LDL less than 100mg/dl or 2.6 mmol/l ( in persons with a history of heart disease the goal for the LDL is 70 mg/dl or 1.8mmol/l).

The triglycerides and LDL can be lowered by reducing the intake of saturated, trans fat and increasing the intake of omega 3 fatty acids, fiber and plant stanol/sterols.
Saturated fat is found in foods such as cream, whole fat milk and cheese, butter,glee,lard, fatty meats,coconut oil, cottonseed oil, palm kernal oil, cocoa butter.
Trans fat should be limited to zero if possible, many food companies which previously added this to foods have started to remove it because of its association with heart disease. It is usually recommeneded that you read the labels of the food bought to ensure that trans fat is not present.
Omega 3 fatty acids are protective to the body and they are found in sardines, salmon, herring, anchovies, mackeral,tuna, flaxseed, butternuts, hemps.eed,kiwi.
Fiber would help reduce the triglycerides and LDL as well as increase the HDL. Fiber intake is increased by use of vegetables and fruits ( as a diabetic use fruits that are not too sweet), unrefined oats (not the instant ones), barley, wheat products, brown flour/rice/pasta instead of white flour/rice/pasta.
Plant stanols/sterols are naturally occuring substances found in plants, they block the absorption of cholesterol in the small intestine. Effectiveness has been shown with the use of 2 to 3 gms of stanols a day. They can be found in some margarines that have added them, yogurts, some milks. There are some vitamin supplements that have them as well.

In terms of the SGPT
Diabetes increases the risk of having non alcoholic fatty liver disease, a condition where excess fat builds up in your liver even if you don't drink alcohol. High cholesterol also contributes to this. This may result in increased liver enzymes.
Treatment involves: good blood sugar control which you seem to have
(2) weight loss if necessary
(3) reduce alcohol intake
(4) adopting the diet changes mentioned above to reduce the consumption of unhealthy fats

I hope this information helps you, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have diabetes, high SGPT level. How do I reduce SGPT level and serum triglyceride level? 15 hours later
Thanks a lot. I will be in touch with you.
Thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Good luck to you and wish you the best.