Have depression and feeling fatigue. Is protein deficiency common in north america?

hi how are you? is protein deficiency common in north america? i live in canada but i'm originally from iran. I moved to canada when i was 13. i have deppression and feel fatigued. i figure when i rest i crave for protein so i drink protein shakes. do you think i might have protein deficiency? thanks bye
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 days later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I would like to start by saying protein deficiencies are very rare in North XXXXXXX It would be very non probable, even if you were protein deficient when you left Iran, to suffer from the remains of this deficiency 16 years later.
Depression management actually starts from you, from within. Realizing that none can live without having some problems is very important. Engaging in stress relieving activities, like some exercise, reading, and being around loved ones could be helpful. Music is helpful to some people. Enough rest and sleep could also be of help. Being around a loved one, especially during a holiday or vacation could actually help. Discussing and seeking advice from a loved and trusted one actually helps.
Past history of thyroiditis requires a frequent evaluation of the thyroid function. Thyroid dysfunction, hypothyroidism could be the origin of fatigue. Evaluation of kidney function ona regular basis is important. The kidney releases erythropeitin, necessary for formation of red blood cells. Kidney lesions could therefore alter the amount of hemoglobin present in the circulation causing anemia and could cause fatigue. Also, kidney dysfunction with raised or low Potassium levels could explain fatigue.
I do not think craving for milk could actually be an indication that you lack proteins. Signs of protein energy malnutrition (Kwashiokor/marasmus) in Adults especially in north XXXXXXX are very rare and unlikely. Oedema, skin changes, recurrent infections, changes in bone texture are a few of them.
Milk is a very good source of proteins. I cannot tell whether you are vegetarian or not. But even in vegetarians of modern times, especially in adults, protein malnutrition or deficiencies are rare.
Simple tests such as Total serum Albumin could give an idea of the total serum proteins.
Thanks for your query and think you really need not worry. I would be honored making another contribution if you deem it necessary, do not hesitate.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.