Have degenerative arthritis in back. Will ibuprofen cause gastric problem?

Rheumatologist
Question
I had gastritis 9 years ago from taking too much ibuprofen after foot surgery. I have degenerative arthritis in my back and would like to take ibuprofen or aleve for the pain. Can I take ibuprofen without causing gastritis again?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem it is possible that you might get gastritis again after taking ibuprofen , no way it can be said that you will not get this problem again because you have a tendency for this . You can take some precautions like keeping the food bland rather than spicy , decreasing tea and coffee intake and addition of a proton pump inhibitor like pantaprazole half an hour before breakfast after due consultation with your treating doctor which will solve your problem . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have degenerative arthritis in back. Will ibuprofen cause gastric problem? 13 minutes later
Could I get gastritis from taking ibuprofen once or twice a week?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for reverting back . Well I dont think taking medicine once or twice a week will not lead to any problem. But in case you have it you can take the medicine as I advised you earlier. Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have degenerative arthritis in back. Will ibuprofen cause gastric problem? 15 hours later
Is there something I should take before taking ibuprofen to coat my stomach--like pepto bismol, crackers, etc.?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for reverting back. It may affect the efficacy of ibuprofen so better not take it . Take care. Dr. Shruti