Have dark circles around eyes. Should I undergo plastic surgery to remove dark circles?

Jul 2012

Hi Doctor,

I have dark circles around my eyes which became significantly visible some 7-8 years back but they were present before that also. Have been trying to get rid of it since couple of years but in vain. I tried with some creams as prescribed by the doctor whom I visited an year ago. I was wondering if I can undergo cosmetic/plastic surgery to remove off my dark circles. I have younger brother with similar problem and my mom has slightly visible dark circles(not significant).

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 53 minutes later
Hi there.

I read your detailed history & empathise with your problem.
Dark circles or Peri-Orbital melanosis is a very difficult condition to treat.
In your case, genetics seems to be playing a major role.
It can arise simply due to lack of good sleep / & / or on account of stress & dehyration or improper hydration..this can be easily addressed with a visit to a psychologist & a dietitian & their advice taken in combination.
Creams do help but to a certain extent. Off the shelf creams available, Neutrogena has an under eye cream to reduce pigmenatation & dark circles that can be bought sans prescription in large pharmacies' & may help.
My personal experience has been with a treatment modality called 'mesotherapy' that involves in this case, the injection of Carbon-dioxide gas in small quantities under the eyes. This i have done while abroad & while it is not yet that popular in India, am sure the larger centres in Pune/Mumbai nearer you will have this equipment & skilled people to do this!
Good Luck & here's wishing you a clear skin soon.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD