Have dandruff, thinning hair, reduced growth of hair. Suggest treatment

I am suffered from dandruff. That's not visible though in hair as it in the root of my hair.Hair density is very low and growth has been stopped. Please suggest a good shampoo, oil and some other treatment i should go through.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 51 minutes later

It seems that you are suffering from hair loss as a result of dandruff.

There can be many other causes for hair loss in women. The causes can range from stress to poor nutrition to environmental changes and even daily shampooing and styling. Another reason can be hormonal changes like menopause, discontinuing birth control pills and after pregnancy. Dandruff and other local infections of skin can cause hair loss. Hair loss can also be an indicator of underlying medical condition like under-active thyroid gland, diabetes, anemia and PCOS.

It is very important for a woman suffering from hair loss to be checked out by a physician. Depending on the cause of your hair loss, treatment will be prescribed to you. It is important that you do not try hair loss treatment before the physician figures out a cause.

After you have ruled out the causes by adequate investigations, you can go for treatments promoted for hair regrowth. The treatment may include oral androgens, Minoxidil cream, Vitamin and iron supplements, hair transplant etc.

It is also important that you do not wash your hair more than two times a week. Use a mild non-medicated shampoo for hair wash. Do not use medicated oil for hair.

Hope I helped.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj