Have cyst inside eyelid and skin tag on the exterior of eye. Do I have conjunctivitis?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello, My left eye has been irritated for several months, exhibiting signs typical of conjunctivitus. Two rounds of Gentamicin drops have not helped. In the last three weeks, the eye has become more irritated, feeling like there is an eyelash or something in the eye under the lid. The irritant feels like it moves around. Tonight, I was looking with a magnified mirror for the stray eyelash, and discovered instead that I have a purple cyst inside the eylid on the upper lid, almost in the ourter corner. It is twice the diameter of a pin head, about 1/4 the size of a pea. I also developed what I though was a skin tag on the exterior of the same eye in the same corner where this newly discovered lump is. I don't know if the two are related. Please advise. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
The description you have given is most probably of an eyelid mebomian cyst or chalazion of your upper eyelid causing irritation to the cornea and thus conjunctival suffusion resembling a conjunctivitis. "A chalazion, also known as a meibomian gland lipogranuloma, is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland, usually on the upper eyelid. A chalazion is caused by localised inflammation of the eyelid ( blepharitis) which is mostly long standing and is usually painless hence goes unnoticed except when causing irritation to cornea, conjunctiva or vision .

Hot compresses help to ease discomfort. Hold a clean flannel that has been in hot water gently but firmly against the closed eye. Do this for 5-10 minutes, 3-4 times a day. Sometimes this warmth and slight pressure is enough to soften the contents of the cyst, helping it drain more easily. (The water should be hot, but comfortable and not scalding.)
Massage of the cyst after using a hot compress can encourage the cyst to drain. Do this gently, with a clean finger or cotton bud, in the direction of the eyelashes.
Cleaning the eyelid twice per day removes grease and grime that may contribute to cysts forming.
A small operation or procedure for chalazion removal is an option if it does not go, or if it causes troublesome symptoms.
Antibiotic ointments, drops and medicines are not recommended as they do not make any difference - the contents of the cyst are sterile (infection-free).
So I would recommend you consult your ophthalmologist for confirmation and treatment and in meantime try the above measures for some relief.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.