Have cut on hand by sharp iron. Washed the wound and applied Neosporin. Can I have HIV infection?

Sir, Today I have a cut on my skin in hand by a sharpened iron in the road divider in a public road and blood came out while I was crossing the road divider . That iron is in such an odd place that anyone can get cut by it . Can I have HIV infection in this way ? I have seen before 2/3 minutes of me none was cut by it and I am not sure whether before it some other has got hurt by the same iron or not. I am afraid that some one may have cut his/her skin by that iron which may spread HIV to me because I also have the wound from the same iron. Is it possible ? within one hour I washed the wound and used NEOSPORIN ointment on it. Am I within risk of HIV for this incident ? Please help me sir. For how much of time HIV can live outside the body in the blood ?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 32 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your query.

Well I dont think you are at risk for contracting HIV like this .

Generally the HIV virus does not survive at the room temperature due to its fragile nature so it is very unlikely that it will survive on an iron rod on a road divider.

There is very less likely possibility for this and such kind of transmission has not been reported.

Generally HIV ELISA is used for screening; but these tests are negative in window period so it needs to be done again after 3 months. Some specialised tests like Nucleic acid testing can test positive earlier. So if you wish to undergo tests for HIV and confirm negativity, this information should guide you. Alternatively, you can consult a physician who can guide you about the available options.

Besides thoses I advise you to take tetanus toxoid as that iron could have been rusted.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Have cut on hand by sharp iron. Washed the wound and applied Neosporin. Can I have HIV infection? 2 hours later
thank U so much mam. Is tetanus toxoid necessary to prevent HIV infection ?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Dear sir,

Tetanus toxoid is necessary for preventing tetanus infection which can occur due to injuries by rusted iron tools . It has no role in preventing HIV transmission.

Dr. Shruti