Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cut and bacterial infection in gum, white pimples appeared inside lips. What is causing this and cure?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hello, my wife was complaining from discomfort or a "cut" in her gum and went to a periodontist who recommended two sessions for four parts of a scaling of the gums because of some bacterial infection or inflammation although it is not an urgent requirement. She doesn't understand why this problem was never detected before and is not clear about the causes or implications of this problem. She tries to be careful to floss and brush.
Also, what are the causes for white "pimples" that can appear on the inside of one's lips or on the inside of the cheeks? I sometimes get them and think they are connected with certain types of spices in foods. Thank you
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 7 hours later
Thank you for the query. Considering the discomfort in the gums and the periodontist's advise of Scaling it appears that it is consequence of tar-tar deposits [Calculus = next stage of plaque]. My suggestion for this would be first go for scaling as advised by Periodontist. It will be helpful if you start brushing after every food with soft tooth brush and tooth paste containing fluoride. If it difficult to brush after every food, then at least as soon as you get up, after morning break-fast and after last food of the day brushing is must. Once daily after last food of the day flossing has to be done. After brushing do gum massaging with the finger..
The pimples which you are explaining seems to be Apthous ulcer, which are noted usually when stress level is high and subsides within 4-7 days of time. It is advised to take good nutritious food, along with multivitamin tablets and local application of anaesthetic gel.

I sincerely hope this answers your query. If yes, kindly accept the answer. If you have anything to be clarified you are most well-come.

With Happy regards,

Follow-up: Have cut and bacterial infection in gum, white pimples appeared inside lips. What is causing this and cure? 1 hour later
Thank you. I asked the doctor whether this situation of bacteria required antibiotics, and he said no, but it was never detected before with the pockets. The scaling requires two sessions and would cost $1200! We were rather amazed especially since my wife tries to take care of her teeth.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 20 minutes later
Thank you for the clarification. Scaling usually does not require antibiotic coverage. Usually the tar-tar deposits are initiated from in between teeth areas, which is difficult to clean. Such tartar is identified by dentist using periodontal probe. It is going to be helpful in getting the tar-tar removed. If it is done in 2 sittings, some dentist do one side on one day with local anaesthesia and another side on another day [because taking the local anaesthesia on both sides of the jaws may be uncomfortable for the patient as he/she will have numbness]. Some dentist do the supra gum scaling on first day and sub gingival scaling on the second day.

With happy regards