Have cough with mucus. Not able to sleep. Suspected to be infected to pine tree. Any suggestion?

ENT Specialist
I have a bitter mucus cough ongoing for the last 4 weeks. It is very annoying and over the counter med's does not work anymore. It feels like a very ongoing Post-Nasal drip down my throat and keep me out of sleep at night.
Both my husband and son had it, after testing the house for Fungus, we found it was related to a Pine tree in our house, that has been removed and out of the house for 2 weeks. So we suspect it is related to some sort of Allergy.
Any suggestions would help?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

The symptoms you have described could be the features of allergic rhinosinusitis.

The symptoms usually worsen during day time and early mornings, because of inhalation of the dust particles present over the pillow cover and drainage of the nasal secretions towards the gravity.

My advice to you is to use steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone) for reducing the allergic component in the nose and reduction of the secretions. Also use saline nasal spray for easy clearance of the nasal and sinus secretions, followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day for a couple of weeks. Mucolytics such as ambroxol or bromhexine will help in reducing the viscosity of the secretions.

Finally, change the pillow covers every night before going to bed, as this is the prime cause for causing nasal allergy. With the above measures your symptoms should settle down.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon