Have cough, flu symptoms and blocked sinus while sleeping. Do I need antibiotic?

ENT Specialist
Question
do i need to see a dr?Hello. I am needing to know if I need to go to the Dr. for an antibiotic or not. Let me first start out by saying both of my small aged sons are sick. One is 2 and has the Flu type B and the other is 4 and has croup. For over a week now I have had a nasty cough with hoarseness and neon XXXXXXX mucus. My voice comes and goes. I'm pretty sure the mucus coming up is from drainage at night. My nose pours during the day and at night. However when I lay down to sleep my sinuses become very clogged. Do you think I need an antibiotic or will otc allergy/cough/decongestant be enough?

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided It would suggest you to consult a ENT surgeon and a Chest Physician as you have a infection airway - may be sinuses and nose or lower down in chest. The characterstics of sputum is suggestive of a bacterial infection and you will need a course of antibiotic. Further the symptoms of croup and Flu in your kids also poses them at risk to catch secondary infection. I would be appropriate to consult a pediatrician for kids for a review of their symptoms and any new clinical sign developing.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma