Ask a Urologist   »  

Have controlled diabetes. Have burning sensation while urinating. Renal function test normal. Concerned

Jul 2016

I have burning sensation while urinating. flow is also inconsistent, and I even end up going 3 times while sleeping. my renal function test is normal, ultrasound kub is normal including post void, and also psa is normal. I am a 71 yr old make with 30 year of diabetes history but under control (amaryl, glycomet). Also have DVD and am on medication for that (cardace, betaloc). lipids under control, and no hypertension. regards XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have burning while passing urine and inconsistent flow of the urine.

You are known diabetic since last 30 years and taking oral medication and happy that is very well controlled as indicated by HBA1c being 6.5.

You have done almost all preliminary investigations and ruled out Benign Enlargement of Prostate which is very common at this age.

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to rule out UTI.

The second common cause of the obstructive urinary symptoms is Bladder Neck Stenosis.
This can be ruled out only by endoscopic examination of Bladder (Cystoscopy).
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and endoscopic examination .

In the mean while you can have a trail of alpha blockers like Tamsulosin which relax the smooth muscles in bladder neck and relieve the obstructive symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Have controlled diabetes. Have burning sensation while urinating. Renal function test normal. Concerned 51 minutes later
I did get both urine routine & culture done, and they came out fine. however the three symptoms continue - 1) burning 2) high frequency of urination 3) inconsistent flow.

what should be done now?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Please have a trial of alpha blockers like Tamsulosin for two weeks. Please consult your family physician to discuss the dosage, timing of the drug to be taken and to get the prescription of this medication.

If there is no improvement in your symptoms, consult a qualified Urologist for Endoscopic evaluation (Cystoscopy) to rule out Bladder Neck Stenosis.

Thanks and Regards.