Have continuous sneezing, on Telecast and developed eye infection with itching and discharge. Take Formost for Asthma

ENT Specialist
Question
My wife sneezes atleat 15~20 times every morning and at times in evening too. When consulted ENT doctors, so was put on allergy tablet viz Telecast-L and at times doctors also relate these issues with Bangalore city weather which I find illogical (as i have no issues). As she couldn't get cured since last 4 years, now she has also developed infection in her eyes which comes for couple of hours almost everyday leading to severe itching & discharge through eyes which is very painful and disturbing even duing her sleep. She also has Asthama problem since last 4 years and is adviced regular daily pumps / inhalers (Formost 200). Overall things have become complex for her and we aren't able to get right answers and treatment despite seeing many doctors. Kindly advice on possible causes and treatment as we need to really find the root cause for her health issues. If possible please also refer a specialst in Bangalore to treat these problems.
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Change meds as below. ENT Check-up

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. In stead of Telekast L, request your doctor to change try other similar medications such as rupatidine (Rupanex-M), fexofenadine (Allegra-M), add a steroid nasal spray (such as Mometasone) and encourage her to take regular plain steam inhalation for at least 15-20 minutes twice a day. The combined effect will of all these medications will be beneficial.

2. If she has a lot of sneezing every morning and evening, some of the possible causes include a Post Nasal Drip (PND), a sudden change in temperature or humidity, some allergen in and around the house (such as pollen), allergy developed to the dust mites in the pillows or mattress, change in detergent use, pet allergy (if any) and sometimes a non-specific allergy (such as to changes in light, temperature and so on). She can be the only one suffering while everyone around her, including you, may not be having any symptoms.

3. There is no cure for allergy. It can only be controlled. Firstly, avoidance of the antigen challenge is advised. This is because, once allergy develops, a cocktail of substances is released into the blood against which only some antidotes are available. Hence, once allergy develops, the symptoms are difficult to control, such as her eye symptoms.

4. Get an ENT and Eye Check-up from any tertiary care hospital in Bangalore. The appearance of the nose and sinuses may give a clue to the type of nasal allergy.
A Sinus CT Scan may be advised if the trial of medication outlined above fails to elicit a favorable response. The Nasolacrimal (tear) duct system should also be checked by an Eye Specialist.

5. In allergic rhinitis and asthma cases, the airway allergy is linked. Successful treatment of the nasal allergy will decrease the severity of her asthma.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have continuous sneezing, on Telecast and developed eye infection with itching and discharge. Take Formost for Asthma 4 days later
Is there any medication to boost her immune system so that she could fight with these environmental changes better.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immunotherapy is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back.

1. Immunotherapy is a last resort if the above treatments fail.

2. Immunotherapy involves long term treatment with no guarantee of success. Desensitization involves exposure to small amounts of the allergen.

3. The above mentioned medications are effective in most cases of allergic rhinitis.

Regards.