Have congestive heart failure and COPD. Have nausea, sudden chills and shakes after taking medicine. Help

My husband is 79 with congestive heart failure and COPD. He takes a lot of medicine. Newest ailment: Two nights in a row before he takes his night medicine he gets nauseated (does not actually throw up) then sudden chills and shakes that take about 1 hour to warm up. Clammy after that. Night sweats. Then severe weakness in the legs such that the can't walk. He is also urinating excessively. He is back to his normal the next morning.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of XXXXXXX Medicine , working with an experienced Internist. I answer on his behalf.

The symptoms you mentioned appear to be the side effects of medications usually used to treat the conditions your husband is suffering from.

The evening nausea could be due to any of the medication he is taking as many of them could alter the gastric acid secretion in the stomach.

The chills and tremors cold be due beta blockers which are used for congestive heart failure.

The excess sweat and urination are commonly seen in patients on diuretics for cardiac condition, the pain in the muscles is a known side effect of antilipid drugs.

There is no need to worry as this could not be any new syndrome but the side effects of medications.Revision of medication and altering the dosage or genres would help him get rid of the problems.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do ask if you have any doubts.

Wish you good health.