Have congestive heart failure. Cholesterol 223. Suggest

Excellent

Question
I have congestive heart failure and have been working diligently to improve my health. My BP is normal to pre-hypertensive most of the time during the day and just got my labs back confirming my total chlolesterol is down to 223. My lung function is much improved and I am making headway with my pervasive inflammation. What I do not understand is why am I not making any noticeable progress with my Edema?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,
I have gone through available details; It is good that you are improving from congestive heart failure.

You have High blood pressure and coronary artery disease with attack few months back. How much heart failure is there can be assessed by Echocardiography measuring heart function.

I would like to know detail reports of ECG, Echocardiography and blood tests you can scan and upload reports to analyze them better.
Edema is treated by diuretics (Water pills) which can be switched to more potent one or dose can be increased in consultation with cardiologist.

You should restrict salt intake to less than 3 gram/day and fluid intake to see improvement in edema. You should keep both limbs elevated, and take rest.

Hope this helps, Please feel free to discuss further, I will be happy to help.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Have congestive heart failure. Cholesterol 223. Suggest 31 hours later
Good morning, was confabbibg with Family for the holiday. Hope you had a great one too! Uploading reports

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 11 minutes later
Please upload reports, I will see as soon as I get them.
It is good that you had great holiday.
No holiday for me busy with Patients.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Have congestive heart failure. Cholesterol 223. Suggest 2 hours later
Did you receive reports?

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 12 minutes later
Sorry I did not received any reports, kindly attach there is option there or alternatively you can send to E mail YYYY@YYYY with attention to Dr.Akhilesh Dubey.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Have congestive heart failure. Cholesterol 223. Suggest 14 hours later
Emailed those reports to your attention as requested; however did not receive confirmation of receipt. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 9 hours later
Hi XXXXX,

Please accept my apology for being late in response.

I have seen all your reports and treatment which is currently going on.

You have High blood pressure, Cardiomyopathy, and Heart failure with ejection fraction 25 to 30%.

Your swelling is related to your heart failure and possibly due to Procardia (Nifedipine) which may be one of the reasons. If it is so it may be changed with other drug to control your blood pressure.

Please restrict your salt intake and tobacco is absolutely no.

Please continue all your treatment regularly and I hope you will certainly improve soon.

Hope this helps, I will be available to answer your follow up query if any.
Please accept my answer with good review before closing this discussion.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D,

Follow-up: Have congestive heart failure. Cholesterol 223. Suggest 3 hours later
Thank you. Looking back I had a better handle on controlling the water weight until I was put on the Procardia; now it just goes up and up! I will speak to my doctor about another alternate medication since it has been a couple of months since my blood pressure has spiked up over 200. In addition to adding vegetables and/or fruit with each meal, also Nutriblast at least twice a day since I have to watch my potassium intake and it is included in most supplements. Since I have been a smoker for 45 years, I have had better success cutting back considerably. Trying to quit just made me smoke more!

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for your input,

You will benefit a lot if you quit completely, I hope you can do it.
Take care of diet and fluid intake.

Take rest sleep for 7 hours a day; these small things do help us.
Hope I able to address all your concerns, kindly rate my answer with good review before closing this discussion.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D