Have chronic bronchitis and noticed a lump at the back of throat. What could it be?

Hello, I need some advice. I am 20 years old and for the past few days I have had a very achy throat (I assumed it was nasal drip as I suffer from chronic bronchitis) however I think there is more to it than that this time. I noticed a few white spots on my tonsils and (only once) reached my finger into my throat to feel it and there is a fairly large lump in the back of my throat behind my tongue, it is soft and almost shaped like the uvula, only a bit bigger. My throat is now getting fairly sore (possibly from me irritating it by clearing my throat frequently and such) and there is a lot of pain when I yawn. I plan to see a doctor as soon as possible, however if I could have an of what to expect that would be great! Thank you!
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This could be acute tonsillitis Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing us on XXXXXXX White spots, softness of tonsil and source of infection(chronic bronchitis) all are suggestive of infection and inflammation of tonsil called as acute tonsillitis. Since there are pus points I suggest to XXXXXXX a ENT surgeon at the earliest since it requires excision/operation called as tonsillectomy.Do not handle/press the tonsil because it might result in rupture(its already filled with pus). However, do not be scared and consult the doctor as early as possible since this has been there from a few days. I hope I have answered your query. Do write to me for any further queries and suggestions.