Have chest pressure, used Nitro spray, blood pressure is 190 over 80. How dangerous is this?

Question
my blood preasure is 190 over 80 how danger is this / 85 years old. some pressure in chest area,have nitro spray,and have used twice, My Dr. Has me back on a statin drug, I first got on statin several years ago and went off them 5 months ago. I have always been in good health,
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi

Unfortunately this blood pressure would not be considered good at any age.

Blood pressure can be thought of as the pressure on the walls of the arteries as the blood flows through the body.

High blood pressure is often called the silent killer because may not have any symptoms while their blood pressure is high and causing damage. Uncontrolled high blood pressure is associated with increased risk of stroke, heart attacks, kidney disease,heart failure, and angina (when there is decreased blood flow in the blood vessels going to supply the heart- results in chest pain on activity, shortness of breath, the spray that you are using is to relieve the symptoms of angina).

There have been some recent studies looking at high blood pressure in elderly persons. A doctor from XXXXXXX university looked at over 700 persons who were in their eighties and found that treatment of blood pressure reduced the risk of strokes and heart failure by 35 % , reduced the risk of other cardiovascular event such as heart attack by 20%.Alot of the persons he looked at did not reach the goal, but a decrease of even 10 to 12 mmHg was associated with improved chances.

So even though you feel fine (this is great), the fact that you have high blood pressure (actually this blood pressure is stage 2 blood pressure which is the highest stage), high cholesterol and angina ( probadly due to both the cholesterol and high blood pressure) means that you should do your best to reduce your blood pressure.
Most persons would not like to be confined to be as a result of stroke or significant heart problems.

Controlling the blood pressure would involve taking your medication (if you have any side effects report them to your doctor), using alot of fruits and vegetables, using alot of water and reducing other drinks, reducing salt use to 1 tsp a day, increasing intake of potassium and calcium which have been found helpful in reducing blood pressure- found in low fat milk and cheese, banana, avocado pears, some fish and beans.

I hope this information is helpful , feel free to ask any other questions