Have chest pain after an injury. X-ray showed no fracture. Reason for the pain while coughing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, both my feet went out and I fell almost flat on my back. More on the left side. Wicked pain , especially when coughing. Had X-ray, clear lungs no broken ribs. Doc said I most likely injured muscle. A week and a half now, pain moved to my left chest and feels like a knife when I cough. Back and side healing slowly. Wondering why my chest hurts so bad when coughing?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Fall and injury to chest can cause fracture ribs or muscle or ligament strain or XXXXXXX bruise.
If you have ruled out fracture ribs and there is no local swelling or extreme pain on touch indicative of XXXXXXX bruise then there is nothing worrisome as of now.
Any muscle strain will require time to heal and till then you can take any antiinflammatory analgesic containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief.Physiotherapy and hot fomentation may provide early relief.
If the pain persists or you develop any new symptom like fever, restriction of movement etc. then seek prompt medical consultation . Otherwise just take adequate rest, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids for better healing.
To avoid pain during coughing, you can get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.