Have charcot marie tooth type 1a. Noticed redness and swelling on toe. Worried for fracture

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I have Charcot XXXXXXX Tooth type 1 A. With significant neuropathy in my feet. I have pes cavis and all toe are hammer toes. Last night I believe I fractured my pinky toe it is swollen, red and the underside of it is a drk gray color. Because I do not have much feeling in my foot the pain is tolerable. Do you think I need to spend the time to go to the emergency room on a Saturday or can I wait until Monday and try to get a office appointment?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 10 minutes later

If you have fractured the pinky toe and the fracture involves the phalanges or the bones within the toes then you can wait until Monday and try to get an office appointment. Fracture of the metatarsal of the same toe or the long bone that lies behind the pinky toe might again be watchfully managed unless the broken ends are largely displaced.
If you want to wait until Monday, I would advise you to just strap the pinky toe to the adjacent toe using a bandage so that it is splinted against the adjacent normal toe. This would limit the pain and stabilize the fracture in such a position that it would promote healing. You are also advised to keep your foot on top of a pillow because elevation of the foot helps in decreasing the swelling associated with a fracture.
Medications are important to decrease pain and inflammation associated with a fracture. You are advised to take analgesics on a regular schedule because this would decrease pain and at the same time reduce inflammation. You can also apply ice over the toe to decrease swelling.
If you follow these conservative measures then I feel that you can wait until Monday for an appointment. However, if you experience excruciating pain or any other complications then you are advised to abandon this conservative procedure and go to the ER directly.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Best wishes!!