Have cervical spodylosis, bulging discs and arthritis in neck and spine. Feeling tingling and numbness in arm. Concerned

I have cervical spodylosis, bulging discs and arthritis in my neck and spine. I am in pain all the time..some days more than others...I have recently noticed both my hands and arms feeling like they are asleep..tingling, numbness, etc..also weakness in both arms and right elbow is very sensitive ..if I even bump it, it sends an excruciating has been bothering me for years but a lot more sensitive lately. I feel like I am falling apart. I am 50 years old and suffered some injuries..nothing serious..when I was 13. I started waking up in my 20s with a stiff neck and was diagnosed back then with disc degeneration. What is likely my prognosis? BTW, I have a very physical job in a factory and I feel like my condition is getting worse..I miss a lot of work because of pain :(
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

As you already know your diagnosis of cervical spondylosis, the symptoms you are experiencing is most probably because of the compression of nerve root at the cervical region of the spinal cord. The nerves supplying both the arms are affected.

This disease is usually treated conservatively by medication like vitamin B12 supplements, anti-inflammatory and anxiolytics and sometimes tricyclic antidepressants for pain relief until there are no neurological deficient, but whenever neurological deficient like numbness, loss of sensations and reflexes and decrease in power and tone of the muscles develop then the only surgical procedures are the treating options. Most patients show good signs of recovery following surgery; rarely a few have poor prognosis due to surgical complications.

The risks and benefits of the surgery, whether or not you would have a good prognosis can be determined by detailed neurological examination, radiological studies (MRI scans) and nerve studies such as EMG). It is recommended to have consultation with a neurosurgeon for the aforementioned evaluation. Hope you recovery well following treatment.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask.