Have cellulitis in leg. Developed lump after using clindamycin. Painful to bend knee. Any thoughts?

My 13 year old son developed cellulitis in leg 2 weeks ago and was on IV clindamyacin for 7 days. Now on oral clindamyacin and has developed a limp. He says is painful to bend knee and put full weight on. What does this signify?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

Since your son has a recent history of cellulitis, the limping and painful knee bending raises my concern. Bone infection (osteomyelitis) is a complication of previous skin infection. Though your son has been treated with clindamycin, there can be some resistant strains of bacteria as well.

I would like to get this excluded. Therefore, I suggest you to get him examined by pediatrician. He will require some tests like complete blood count, ESR, CRP, blood culture, X XXXXXXX Bone scan or MRI.

In the meantime continue with medication as advised, give combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief 6 to 8 hourly.
Apply cold compresses over affected area.

Hope I have answered your query; if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless...