Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cavity problem in wisdom teeth. Having pain. What can be done?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hi, I have cavity problem in both wisdom teeth. I am having this problem from the last 4 months. last week i checked in Apollo hospital. Doctor gave 2 suggestions to me. root canal either extraction the teeth. But, I am not having that much pain. I am geeting pain only when i bite something. I dont want to extract my teeth. If i fill or do root canal, will these give any more problems in future. or should i extract. Can you pls help me to decide.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 29 minutes later

Ideally a wisdom tooth is vestigial and serves no purpose, therefore in many cases extraction is an ideal solution.
If the tooth has enough tooth structure and can be saved then you may get it root canal treated. After the treatment you'll need to put a cap on it to preserve it.

If a rootcanal is done properly and the infection is removed then you will not have any problems in the future, making it a good option.

Hope this helps.