Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cavity in molar teeth. When should I go for tooth filling?

I had cavity in my lower left molar teeth. I filled in 1.5 year back. Now the filling is not there and there is hole. I need to do the filling. I was having little sensitivity . So doctor gave few medicine to take now. He said only when there is no sensitivity the filling can be done. Is it really necessary to wait until the sensitivity is not there ?
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on the details provided, I think the sensitivity is due to exposed dentin in the open cavity of lower left molar teeth. I do not find it necessary that we should wait to restore the tooth until sensitivity stops unless you have supper added infection.

The exact treatment also depends on the extent of decay of the tooth. Have you got the x-ray of the tooth? If not, I would suggest getting X-rays to find out whether the decay is only in dentin or is it involving pulp.
- If only dentin is involved it can be restored as usual.
- If pulp is involved, treatment has to be planned depending on the severity of condition i.e., either pulpotomy/indirect pulp capping OR root canal treatment has to be done.

Discuss with your dentist further.

Hope this suffices. Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries.