Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cavity. Took antibiotic for tingling, sensitive teeth. Panoramic x-ray found cyst. How to cure this?

I have been to two endodonists over the past month because tooth #14 has been giving me a problem. They both did diagnostic tests on the tooth and took an xray and said the tooth looks fine. I was put on an antibiotic and the tooth got better but is still not right. I recently went to a new dentist who did a panoramic xray and said I have a cyst in the area of that tooth but cannot tell if the cyst is touching the nerve. In the mean time while this was going on I am having problems with other teeth extreme sensitivity, tingling and the other molar on the other side which also has a crown is starting to bother me. Its like all of a sudden my teeth decided to go bad. I also found out I have 2 cavities and very eroded teeth even thought I have been going to the dentist every 4 months to have my teeth cleaned. I used to be bulemic which probably explains the erosion. Any thoughts how you can just wake up one day and all your teeth are bad
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

A cyst can form in any part of the jaw and it can quickly expand, damaging a lot of jaw bone and causing tooth pain even tooth mobility. It can be caused by dental trauma, injury, or developmental abnormalities.
The type of treatment depends on the type of cyst, normally it is drainage of abscess from infected cyst.
I suggest you to consult to an Oral and Maxilllofacial Surgeon get an clinical evaluation done take an OPG radiograph, this examination will help in diagnosis and deciding the treatment plan.

Pain and sensitivity on the other side molar tooth which is crowned can be due to incompletely done procedure, accidently left over unexplored canal, re-infection in the tooth or food lodgement. Get an x-ray done of the tooth which will show the periapical condition or any left over pulp tissue. Get complete mouth scaling and polishing done.

Due to bulemia, vomitting had caused errosion of the teeth in the oral cavity, the erroded tooth can be treated with prosthetic crown placements.
As you said you are having cavities in your two teeth which are eroded, you need to an x-ray of the respective tooth discuss with your dentist.

Tooth erosion is due to the underlying cause consult a Physician for treatment of Bulemia.

Develop a habit of brushing teeth with a soft bristle toothbrush slowly in circular motions.
Avoid eating acidic and carbonated drinks, if required make use of straw, rinse the mouth afterwards.
Use flouride containing toothbrush for brushing teeth.
Apply flouride gel and varnishes to the teeth.
Use neutralising agents like antaacids.
Dentine bonding agents can be applied to the areas of exposed dentine.
Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further queries.

Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Have cavity. Took antibiotic for tingling, sensitive teeth. Panoramic x-ray found cyst. How to cure this? 4 hours later
Tooth#14 has a crown on it. The one that was next to it I had extracted that is where the cyst is above that space. That tooth was extracted in 2010 and I was never told I had a cyst but the cyst shows clear on the xray before the tooth was extracted. Anyway my dentist had said maybe we could watch if for 6 months but I don't think I want to go that way. I want it out.
Do you think the cyst could be making my other teeth hurt.
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the reply,

Pain in the Tooth#14 could be due to many reasons can be cystic cavity involving the tooth, food lodgement between crown and tooth surface, reinfection in the tooth, incompletely done procedure.

Exact diagnosis can be done on clinical and radiological examination of the tooth.
Discuss with your Dentist regarding the treatment for the tooth.

Hope this helps out.

Dr. Qazi Ammara.