Have cat scratch infection on hand. Taking amoxicillin. Noticed swollen and itchy foot. Is this a side effect of medicine?

Hi - i have a cat scratch infection on my hand for which i am taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tabs 0000. i take one tablet every 12 hrs and have taken 3 tabs so far the last tablet 11 hrs ago. I just woke up and find the arch of my left foot is itchy and slightly swollen. Is this a side effect of the medication?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Yes, it can be due to side effects of Amoxicillin but the chance is very rare.
It can only be due to a non-allergic type of rash seen in 0.8%-2.6% of amoxicillin users. It is usually seen in children but can be seen in adults. It is a late-developing (usually develop after 72 hours of onset of therapy in individual never taken any penicillin group on antibiotics previously), itchy, maculopapular rash usually start in the trunk and spread in other body part.

This rash is unlikely to be a true allergic reaction, and is not a contraindication for future amoxicillin usage, nor should the current regimen necessarily be stopped.

But it should be differentiated from amoxicillin induced severe allergic reaction which also start as allergic rash but associated with others systematic symptoms like mental changes, nausea, vomiting, fever etc and it has a life threatening property.

You please discuss with your treating doctor to correlate the findings and exclude major allergic drug reaction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly