Have carpal tunnel syndrome. Started having wrist pain. What is the reason?

Geriatrics Specialist
carpal tunnel syndromethe top of my left wrist ia extreme pain. and a few weeks ago my pinky and ring finger tetracted and locked up for several minutes. do I have carpal tunnel syndrome
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
There are lot of causes of pain on wrist.
It is not carpal tunnel syndrome is due to the entrapment of median nerve(one of three nerves supplying the hand) which involves the thumb side, but you have locked up effect on pinky (little finger) and ring finger, which are supplied by ulnar nerve( other nerve supplying the hand).

In order to know the exact cause of pain do an
1 Electromyography to rule out muscle pathology,
2 Nerve conduction velocity to rule out nerve weakness
3 X XXXXXXX wrist to look for bony abnormalities.
If your symptoms are worsening ,get an orthopedic opinion and get treated.
Let me know if you have further questions,
Thank you.
Follow-up: Have carpal tunnel syndrome. Started having wrist pain. What is the reason? 2 hours later
The 2 fingers locked up a couple weeks ago now I'm experiencing numbness from the fingers to the elbow I can move only my thumb and pinky without pain the top of the rest is very painful when I bend my fingers the pain is very severe. I cannot unbutton my pants. This happen last night while I was sleeping. What can I do for the pain. Can you prescribe an anti inflammatory
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 19 hours later
Hi there,

I understand the amount of pain you are under with your reply. However the most effective antiinflammatory analgesic drugs are prescription only medications and you will need to see your primary care physicians to get them prescribed.

In the meanwhile, you can try topical antiinflammatory agents such as diclofenac based gels twice daily. Motrin which are available over the counter can be taken twice a day after food.

I urge you to visit your primary care physician if the pain is not tolerable despite the over the counter drugs.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications.