Have bump on leg. Now turned to small pimple. How to cure this?

General Surgeon
I have a bump on the back of leg. At first it looked like a mole. Then it turned into what looked like a small pimple or blackhead. Now it's the size of a quarter, hard, red & it looks like a hole is in the middle.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It is extremely hard to give exact answer not seeing it, so if you could attach a photo of it so I can be more precise.
If it looked like a mole, most likely it is a mole. Some moles do cause an inflammation and can change the shape, color and get protruded. If so, it is necessary to remove it and send to histopathology to make sure there is no melanoma in it.
Other possible reason of such lump is hair follicle inflammation, sebaceus cyst or other benign skin lesion. If there is a pus inside, needle puncture or small incision should be made to drain the pus.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have bump on leg. Now turned to small pimple. How to cure this? 16 minutes later
I uploaded a picture. Is it clear enough? I am a little concerned because it hurts. I was wondering if I can withstand pain, would it be detrimental for me to wait a few more weeks until a dermatologist is able to see me or should I go to the ER to have it drained?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
It does not look urgent. But few weeks it might be too long to wait with it. The pain indicates some infection. Most likely due to puss accumulation. The picture is not clear enough, but it looks like there is a redness around this lesion. In such case, antibiotics might be necessary to cure this condition.
So ER visit is not necessary, but your regular doctor should be visited in a few days.

Hope this will help.