Have bulimia, blood in vomit. Worried

im forty years of age and have had bulimia for over 20yrs today i made my self sick and there was a big of fresh blood in it i worried me but the next time i was sick 5 mins later nothing I'm going out of my mind with worry help
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 minutes later

The blood seen in the vomitus could be due to tear in the lower esophageal or stomach wall due to sudden forceful contraction of the stomach (Mallory–Weiss syndrome).

Even a minor tear presents with blood in vomit, most of them stop on own without causing any serious trouble but mild pain and burning sensation in the abdomen.

I suggest you to avoid solid and spicy foods for another two days till the tear gets healed so as to prevent rebleed.

If you see another episode of bleed then there would be need for you to rush to the ER where an endoscopy would be one to evaluate the problem in detail and treat accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.