Have broken foot. Have swelling. What to do?

I have a broken foot and I am in a short hard cast. It has felt like it was running the back of my ankle, but it is propped up and I am not weight bearing so I think it had to do with swelling. However at the moment my leg feels like it is absolutely on fire. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

The symptoms you have in the foot indicate that there is defective circulation.

This is one of the common complications due to cast around the limbs. Either the cast is tight or is positioned in such a way that it occludes superficial veins causing engorgement and fluid extravasation leading to swelling and sensation of warmth.

Do not delay, please visit the ER at the earliest. Best way to get rid of the symptoms and prevent further complications like gangrene, staining of the skin etc is by getting the cast removed. The fracture has to be evaluated and a new cast applied properly.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.