Have broken a rib and having severe pain with muscle spasms. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Broke a rib I have severe pain with mucle spasms is this normal how long will it last
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The severe pain may take a week to subside.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The acute pain and muscle spasms after a rib fracture usually subside in a week to 10 days. To have symptomatic relief earlier, have adequate rest, use a chest belt when not in bed, take some pain killers after the meals and get a combination of muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Have broken a rib and having severe pain with muscle spasms. Normal? 16 hours later
Hurts when I move raise my arm or walk sit down that's when I get the spasms the most I did ask my doc for muscle relaxers have not heard back I go to Vegas in 3 day and do not want to be in this much pain were I can't enjoy the time with my husband
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take OTC muscle relaxants.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You can use over the counter available muscle relaxants like Baclofen, Celebrex, Lioresal, Robaxin, Skelaxin, Tramaden, Tegretol or Toradol. Ask your nearest pharmacist about availability of any one of these. Take it after meals twice a day. These will help with your spasms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.