Have breast cancer, undergoing chemo therapy and radiation. Started bleeding, US showed thick uterus lining with fibroids. Further?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have breast cancer and undergoing chemo therapy. For the next 20 weeks and then radiation for 6 weeks. I started to bleed and then spotting. My Gynocologist sent me for an ultra sound and it showed a thick uterus lining with cysts and fibroids. My,oncologist suggested that I have a biopsy, but I am wondering if I should just have a hysterectomy ? I am 60 years old and do not want to go through a biopsy and find out I need a hysterectomy .
Thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Decision should be based on biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. It is best to proceed step by step and according to the protocol it is advisable that you undergo a biopsy before taking the decision for a hysterectomy. Majority of the times this biopsy will be benign and would respond to medications. Beside that, if you undergo hysterectomy, there are chances that your chemo and radiotherapy can be delayed. This is not advisable for your breast cancer management.

Hoping for the best.

Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Rohan Khandelwal
Breast Surgeon