Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
if the Tumor at grade 4, nomrally how soon it grows back, if it grows back and causes dailly life, can we go for surgery or any other therapy ?
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is not clear what tumor your wife is suffering from, and where is the location. Grade 4 is generally referred in cancers and malignant tumors. But your doctor has said it is benign.

Generally, benign tumors grow very slowly.

The problems in speech, etc depends on the location of tumor and its size. If you can upload the MRI report, it would be useful. In addition, if you have the biopsy report also, it also would be useful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 21 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

My wife had gone under surgery two times 2008( left cerebellum ) and 2013 (spinal cord ).
Biopsy in 2008 says it s Glioblastoma (Pleomorphic ) - WHO Grade 4, left cerebellar lesion. And Biopsy 1st July, 2013 says features are suggestive of Neuro fibroma.

*.if it was Malgnant in 2008, how it turned as Benign that after 5 yrs and pls let us the know as to how soon malignant again appears after the surgery ?
And spech is become werson now, before surgey it was ok. Now our Dr saysing there are two spots small tumor growing on top of the head that is causing speech disorder.

Since speech gone werst and hands are shaking, can't able to stand( imbalencing ), fixed an appointment with Dr today.

Request your openion on third surgery or any other therapy where this tumor completly removed and she comes to normal where speeks well.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

I agree that the first tumor (glioblastoma) was malignant and the second tumor (neurofibroma) is benign. However, both of these are not inter connected.

Regarding the new tumors, which are affecting her speech, I request you to upload the MRI report, mentioning the exact location and size. Then, I can advise regarding the best treatment, surgery or otherwise.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor
please find MRI copies attached and advice the best.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Looks like your MRI report has not got attached. If you have difficulty attaching them, please ask Healthcare Magic staff to help you.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 44 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Sorry, since it was too big, got failed.

Also situation gone worst,we went back Nuerosurgon, he asked for MRI again,shown growing gliobastoma faster at cerebellam and we admitted her yest. My question is why it was silent for five yrs and grown in 20 days, that too after the spinal card surgery, when Dr knows previous one was grade 4, why did not traet for this when it was seen very small in the last month. Finally they have ignored this and operated other one at spinal cord which was benign ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

It is difficult to understand the reason for operating or not operating without examining the patient. However, it depends on various factors, such as symptoms produced by the tumor, nature of tumor, benefits and risks for surgery, overall expected outcome, etc.

If it is glioblastoma stage 4, then, most treatments fail, and the overall outcome is not good with or without surgery. Mostly, the neurosurgeon may do a biopsy (without trying to remove the entire tumor), and then refer the case for radiation or chemotherapy (to the cancer specialist).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 33 minutes later
Hi Doctor

how she was good without any problems from 5 yrs, was it her will power, medication responded well ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
It is difficult to understand the behavior of tumors, why people get tumors, especially cancers, etc.

However, we commonly see in our practice that a tumor which was benign, all of a sudden changes its nature, and turns malignant. Similarly, a slowly growing tumor starts growing rapidly, the mechanism is not well understood.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 4 minutes later
Hi Doctor

is radiation therapy for 2nd time advisable ?
Also please let us know whether multiple surgiries and other therapies cause infertility to my wife. because we were trying for a kid from the day one ( May 2013 ) we married, Her period was irregular for a few months.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Radiation therapy is given for recurrence of tumor, which is cancerous. It is safe in these situations.

Also, cancer treatments (both radiation and chemotherapy) may increase the chances of infertility. However, I request you to discuss these issues with the oncologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Have brain tumour at grade 4. Can we go for surgery or any other therapy ? 11 minutes later
Thank you doctor for all inputs.

i have also consulted nuero Surgen on the same, if she had nothing for 5 yrs, its a miracle. since its its growing very fast, it cant be told anything.

we can have only hopes on her, entire both our families are worried.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
My best wishes are with her and your entire family!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)