Ask a Dentist   »  

Have braces and noticed change in direction in front teeth. Is this possible?

Hi, I currently have braces, and I recently went to the orthodontist for a checkup, but I'm noticing that my front teeth are no longer the right length, but I was told they are trying to XXXXXXX bring that tooth down XXXXXXX is that possible? Or just trying to get more money?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes, this is possible. Every tooth can move in any direction that the orthodontist wants within specific physical limitations and through a slow process.

Teeth can be brought down and when this is down it is called extruding the tooth. This is a slow process and needs to be slow because there is a very small hole at the end of your tooth (the apex) where the nerve and blood supply run into the tooth. If the tooth is extruded or erupted too fast, that blood supply could be damaged and the tooth could die.

I don't believe that your orthodontist is doing unethical things to "get more money" out of you. I think they are evaluating your progress and changing which direction your teeth go, based on how they have moved since your last follow up visit.

The average time frame for braces is 24 months. This is the average. Depending on the extent of malpositioning you have, how much longer or how much less time you have to go with wearing your braces would be decided. Rest assured they are doing what they see is best for you and are trying to give you the best functional and aesthetic outcome.

I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions feel free to ask, I am here for you.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Ward