Have bouts of PVC. Taking Metoprolol succinate and Propranolol. Get delayed heart beat. Effect of medicines?

I have had bouts of PVC in the past and have been taking 47.5 mg of extended release Metoprolol succinate twice daily for years, but switched to 40 mg of Propranolol twice daily a couple of days ago, thinking that it and the Metoprolol were equivalent in effect, but I have noticed my PVC to be acting up a little more frequently. I'll get a delayed heartbeat or an out-of rhythm one more often now than before. I am self-medicating and I am the one that switched to Propranolol without asking my doctor, because a relative of mine got a much cheaper batch of it than the Metaprolol succinate costs me here in Korea, but now I am wondering if the Propranolol is as effective for PVC as the Metoprolol. Thank you for your consideration.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 45 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Self medication is a universal act of irresponsibility by which people try to shortcut the doctor's fees or the cost of treatment.
Many land up in serious health hazards.
Your doctor has done a commendable job by prescribing the right medicines. I do not know what to say about you but you are really endangering your life.
Metoprolol is a very effective drug for the PVC, propranolol is also a beta-blocker and cheaper than metoprolol but is from a different subclass of beta blockers and has been known to cause many adverse effects.
You should always follow the doctor's order to be on safer side.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!