Have body aches. Have soreness. Feel depressed. Had oral sex. Could this be due to virus?

I have had mild to moderate, generalized body aches and pains for about 3-4 weeks now. That has been my only symptom. The pain increases with use of the muscle/bone. The pains can be described as soreness pains and shooting pains that appear and dissapear in different parts of my body. It all started during a time when i was extremely depressed and was not eating very much. It was the beginning of fall when the temperatures were starting to become cold. I also work at a hospital in a cancer centre. I also remember not washing my hands at work and during lunch when this all started. Could i have been exposed to a virus at the hospital from cancer patients with weak immune systems? Also during the same time, a girl administered unprotected oral sex to me and i french kissed her, but i was told by the sexual health unit that these are very low risk activities, especially when the male is receiving the oral sex. I had an STI test recently and it was all negative. I am very terrified and have not been able to sleep more than 5 hours a day. What can the possible causes be? Thanks so much.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non specific symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Well looking into your problem and the history you gave I would like to tell you that your main complaint is muscle pain or soreness which can arise by a lot of problems that it is just a symptom that can arise from many diseases .

The probability of cancer and STD is extremely less . In my opinion it could be chronic fatigue syndrome that is also common accompaniment of depression where the patient presents with such symptoms . But I would advise you to get a CPK level done plus an ESR and regular work up to rule out other pathologies.

You should seek advise of a physician at the earliest because physical examination is also required to look for presence of tender points and rule out other diseases .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Have body aches. Have soreness. Feel depressed. Had oral sex. Could this be due to virus? 2 days later

Thanks so much for your informative response. The pains have lessened lately in frequency and intensity (i am in my 4th week) I dont know if they are muscle pains or not as they can occur in parts of my body with no muscle like my head and joint areas for instance. I never had a problem with sleeping until the pain started and i became paranoid of the possibility that it may be an STI (specifically HIV). This caused me to wake up at 4 or 5 am and have difficulty getting back to bed and having real sleep.

Yes, i had a major depressive episode around the same time the pain started. It was unlike one i have ever had since over 7 years because i came off my antidepressants 2-3 months ago (effexor). I have been reading about depression and pain and there seems to be a strong relation.

Is it possible that this could be due to a harmless viral infection that needs to take its course? I have already done a lot of blood work ordered by the doctor (ESR included) but i am waiting on the results.

Thanks so much. I am deeply appreciative of your time and care.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes possibilty exists.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

The possibilty does exist . I think you should get your HIV testing for getting relieved . Its your anxiety that is leading to all this . I think you should wait for reports to come rather than worrying unnecessarily.

Dr. Shruti