Have blotchy and red face, under chin and chest. What could be causing this?

Geriatrics Specialist
...My face, under my chin and parts of my chest are often blotchy and red, but I don't get a lot of constant sun exposure, and I don't eat much spicy food. What else can cause this? Thank you...
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 19 minutes later
Hi there,
thanks for writing to us,
there are a wide differential diagnosis for blothy and red face and chin(ranging from simple benign skin changes to complex systemic involvement),
I need some more clear history.
I need to ask you some questions such that i will be precise in answering your question
whether it shows Any dry patches?
Any clear or pus-colored discharge coming from the region?
Any dry crust over the reddened area?
Are you allergic to any allergen?
Are you on chronic medications?
Looking for you answers to get clear about your conditions.
let me know if you had further queries
thank you.
Follow-up: Have blotchy and red face, under chin and chest. What could be causing this? 2 hours later
...No to all questions except I take 25 mcg generic synthroid first thing every morning. More than a year ago, I was also taking a pill for cholesterol, a pill for high BP, and 2 pills for type 2 diabetes. I had to stop taking all of them due to getting worse instead of better. I've lost weight, exercise a little now, and eat more natural and less processed food.
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Based on the information you provided, I could think of the following possibilities.

Dermatitis( dry reddened skin), may result from poor diet or emotional stress,the lymphatic system are negatively impacted by stress thus affecting the dermal layer of skin.

Impetigo, skin condition causing red, dry, blotchy skin with requires medical attention in order to prevent it from worse conditions.

In people with sensitive skin,the skin is so delicate that it could not handle any sudden alteration to weather , climatic variation could be a cause.

In case of worsening, contact a dermatologist and its advisable to get a KOH mount skin smear test, to know any underlying pathogens as it could be an infective condition.

Please do let me know, if you have further queries.