Have blocked ear with pain and muffled hearing, throat cattarh and swollen glands. Cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
hi i have a blocked ear with some pain and muffled hearing. lots of throat catarrh and swollen glands. stiff neck. no temperature.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT consultant and I shall try to help you out.

I have understood your problem and you seem to be suffering from an upper respiratory infection which has spread to your ear.

At the offset I would like to assure you that it is a common problem and easily treatable

You need to do the following
- take steam inhalation with menthol at least thrice a day for one week
- avoid anything cold and take only warm fluids and food
- start an antibiotic like amox -clav along with an antihistamine like levocetrizine. Your doctor will know about these
-wait for a week and if your symptoms do not improve then take an audiometry and throat swab and get back to me with the reports

You must understand that the block will remain for a week or two and only go gradually. But as I mentioned earlier, you have nothing to worry about.

Hope you get better and if you have any more doubts you may ask me

Get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have blocked ear with pain and muffled hearing, throat cattarh and swollen glands. Cause? 3 minutes later
thanks for your answer. I have no cold though and the catarrh seems to be just coming down my throat, is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute eustachian block

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You have cleverly realized that there is no cold but in this condition you will not have obvious features of cold.

It will be a mild infection which would have affected the tube called eustachian tube traveling up from the throat.

The only symptom will be ear block.

So don't worry, what you are feeling is fine and usual.

Just do what I had mentioned earlier and you will become and feel better.

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have blocked ear with pain and muffled hearing, throat cattarh and swollen glands. Cause? 1 minute later
thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You are welcome and don't worry you will get better

Another thing, the feeling of catarrh coming down your throat is normal and will get better

Dr Sriram Nathan