Have biliary atresia. Getting sharp pain in heart when breathing deeply. Any complication?

Allergist and Immunologist
I am a 30 year old female with biliary atresia. Have not had a transplant yet but my dr say its getting closer.
But I also have very bad allergies. Red eyes goop in the eyes. But lately when I sneeze I have a hard time breathing in and get a sharp pain by my heart. It does come and go the pain. Does this have to do with allergies? Or my liver failure? Or something more severe?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

I suppose your underlying condition is acquired biliary atresia, and on the list for liver transplant.
As you may already know, liver function tests become abnormal particularly bilirubin rises that causes a lot of skin itching (yellow eyes, jaundice).
There are several reports of food allergy (particularly egg allergy) in patients post transplant for biliary atresia.

Your allergies most likely preceeded the current condition in which case, standard antihistamine therapy with eye drops will help. Also if you are on steroids or immunosuppressants, the allergies will reduce.
Check with your doctor on the antihistamines that could be used now, particulary Fexofenadine or Levocetirizine plus olopatadine eye drops.

Thepain in the chest is due to the forceful nature of the sneeze so try and use a towel to sneeze into next time, to prevent the sudden chest movements.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.